Washington, DC Metro track work information is available to help visitors and riders plan ahead for weekend travel changes. Metro is investing in the reconstruction of its Metrorail system, and track work is expected on most weekends. Weekly updates are provided to inform travelers which lines are affected. This is a weekly press release provided by Metro. Service changes continue through closing on Sunday night.
Weekend service changes, according to Metro:
- Red Line: Trains every 8-16 minutes
- Orange Line: Trains every 18 minutes
- Silver Line: Trains every 14 minutes
- Blue Line: Free shuttle buses replace trains between Arlington Cemetery & Pentagon
- Yellow Line: Trains every 20 minutes (see below for details)
- Green Line: Regular service
- Trains every 8 minutes between Silver Spring & Van Ness from 9:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m.
- Trains every 16 minutes between Glenmont & Shady Grove
Due to installation of cable/communication equipment to support cellular service in tunnels and new radio system, rail renewal and joint elimination, Red Line trains will single track between Friendship Heights and Medical Center.
Trains every 18 minutes
Due to rail and fastener renewal, Orange Line trains will single track between Cheverly and New Carrollton.
Trains every 14 minutes
To coordinate with rebuilding on other lines, Silver Line trains will operate every 14 minutes
Blue Line (will operate as Yellow Line trains)
- Trains every 20 minutes between Franconia-Springfield and Greenbelt only
- Free shuttle buses replace Blue Line trains between Arlington Cemetery and Pentagon.
- Arlington Cemetery station will be closed
- Customers traveling to/from Benning Road, Capitol Heights, Addison Road, Morgan Boulevard and Largo Town Center must use a Silver Line train to complete their trip
- Trains will single track between Braddock Road and Reagan National Airport
Due to grade crossing installation at Arlington Cemetery, Blue Line trains will operate as Yellow Line trains between Franconia-Springfield and Greenbelt.
- Trains every 20 minutes
- From opening until 10:00 p.m. trains operate between Huntington and Mt Vernon Sq
Due to switch renewal, Yellow Line trains will single track between Braddock Road and Reagan National Airport.
From opening until 10:00 p.m., trains will operate between Huntington and Mt Vernon Sq only. Customers traveling to/from stations north of Mt Vernon Sq during this time should use the Green Line to complete their trip.
For more information:
Schedules, real-time train arrivals and station information are available at wmata.com. For assistance by phone, call Metro customer information at (202) 637-7000 [TTY 202-638-3780].”
For more information on traveling by Metrobus or Metrorail, visit wmata.com.
* Photo Credit: WMATA Photograph by Larry Levine
To see this full press release click here.