No Passes Required Monday Through Friday Starting at 1 p.m.
The Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture will release advance timed-entry passes for March 2019 Wednesday, Dec. 12, at 9 a.m. ET. The museum will open with extended hours, 10 a.m.–7:30 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 26, through Saturday, Dec. 29.
Starting in January 2019, the museum will launch a new set of visitation guidelines with the introduction of peak and off-peak seasons. From March through August, the museum will require timed-entry passes for the peak season when visitation is highest. During off-peak season, September–February, when visitation is lowest, visitors can enter the museum without passes. Passes are required every weekend throughout the year.
Following are guidelines for visiting the museum:
- During peak season (March–August), visitors will need a timed-entry pass to enter the museum before 1 p.m.
- During off-peak season (September–February), walk-up entry is available every Monday through Friday 10 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
- Advance timed-entry passes are required every Saturday and Sunday, regardless of the season.
- Walk-up entry is available every Monday through Friday from 1 p.m. until close, regardless of the season.
- Same-day online passes are available on weekdays during peak season (March–August) and weekends year-round.
- The museum’s hours of operation are 10 a.m.–5:30 p.m. 364 days a year. The museum is closed Dec. 25. The museum will have extended hours, 10 a.m.–7:30 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 26 through Saturday, Dec. 29.
- When planning a trip to the museum, visitors are encouraged to check nmaahc.si.edu/visit to determine whether they will need to obtain timed-entry passes.
- Groups of 10 or more people must reserve group passes every day of the year, during peak and off-peak seasons.