The following is a 9/15/2020 press release from the Smithsonian Institution:
We are pleased to announce that following the successful reopening of the National Zoo and the National Air and Space Museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, the Smithsonian American Art Museum, Renwick Gallery, National Portrait Gallery and National Museum of African American History and Culture will reopen to the public this Friday, September 18. The museums will be open five days a week, Wednesday–Sunday. Visits to all locations will require free timed passes, with the exception of the Renwick which can accommodate walk-up visitors. Passes to all reopened museums and the National Zoo can be reserved online HERE or by calling 1-800-514-3849, ext. 1.
All locations will reopen with new health and safety measures in place to provide a safe and welcoming experience for our visitors and staff. We ask that all visitors follow these safety guidelines:
- Face Coverings: Face coverings must be worn at all times during your visit. They are required for all visitors over the age of six and highly recommended for all visitors over the age of two.
- Social Distancing: Visitors are asked to practice social distancing while in the museum, staying at least six feet from visitors who are not a member of your party.
- Wash Your Hands: Visitors are asked to wash their hands and use our free hand sanitizer, available throughout the museum.
You will notice increased safety measures at all locations including:
- Signs and markers will help you follow safety guidelines and remind you to practice social distancing.
- New hand-sanitizing stations can be found throughout the park and museum, and bathrooms are open for hand washing. Guests are also encouraged to bring their own hand sanitizer for use during the day.
- Bathrooms, door handles and high-touch surfaces are being cleaned more frequently. Touch exhibits and other areas where we cannot ensure social distancing are closed.
- Some paths now have one-way traffic to support social distancing. Additionally, some indoor exhibits and narrow paths are closed.
For more information on these updates and to your reserve your free timed passes:
- Please visit https://www.si.edu/visit/passes
- Or call 1-800-514-3849, ext. 1.
Please note you will need to make separate reservations for each location, with the exception of the Renwick.
Not Ready to Visit Yet?
We are always open online, no passes required! Smithsonian experts remain committed to supporting lifelong learners of all ages. Millions of digital educational resources from Smithsonian museums, research centers, libraries, and archives are at your fingertips. Visit Your Smithsonian, Anywhere for great resources for Distance Learning, Open Access, Virtual Tours, Digital Exhibitions, Podcasts and so much more.
The Smithsonian reopened the National Zoo and the National Air and Space Museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center on July 24 and the Smithsonian Gardens on August 17. This announcement to reopen four more museums continues a gradual, phased reopening process for the Institution. At this time, the Smithsonian is not announcing a date to welcome the public back to its other museums. Updates will be available at si.edu/visit as we work to safely reopen.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Smithsonian and thank you so much for your invaluable support.