The following is a 9/21/2020 press release from the Smithsonian Institution:
We are pleased to announce the reopening of two more museums on the National Mall – the National Museum of American History and the National Museum of the American Indian will reopen to the public this Friday, September 25th. Both museums will require free timed passes for entry and are operating on modified schedules; please reference si.edu/visit for details. Passes to all reopened museums and the National Zoo can be reserved online HERE or by calling 1-800-514-3849, ext. 1.
Both locations will reopen with new health and safety measures in place to provide a safe and welcoming experience for our visitors and staff. We ask that all visitors follow these safety guidelines:
- Face Coverings: Face coverings must be worn at all times during your visit. They are required for all visitors over the age of six and highly recommended for all visitors over the age of two.
- Social Distancing: Visitors are asked to practice social distancing while in the museum, staying at least six feet from visitors who are not a member of your party.
- Wash Your Hands: Visitors are asked to wash their hands and use our free hand sanitizer, available throughout the museum.
You will notice increased safety measures at both locations including:
- Signs and markers will help you follow safety guidelines and remind you to practice social distancing.
- New hand-sanitizing stations can be found throughout the park and museums, and bathrooms are open for hand washing. Guests are also encouraged to bring their own hand sanitizer for use during the day.
- Bathrooms, door handles and high-touch surfaces are being cleaned more frequently. Touch exhibits and other areas where we cannot ensure social distancing are closed.
- Some paths now have one-way traffic to support social distancing. Additionally, some indoor exhibits and narrow paths are closed.
For more information on these updates and to your reserve your free timed passes:
- Please visit https://www.si.edu/visit/passes
- Or call 1-800-514-3849, ext. 1.
Not Ready to Visit Yet?
We are always open online, no passes required! Smithsonian experts remain committed to supporting lifelong learners of all ages. Millions of digital educational resources from Smithsonian museums, research centers, libraries, and archives are at your fingertips. Visit Your Smithsonian, Anywhere for great resources for Distance Learning, Open Access, Virtual Tours, Digital Exhibitions, Podcasts and so much more.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Smithsonian and thank you so much for your invaluable support.